Mapo-gu History

1944

October 23, 1944
The colonial Japanese authorities' ordinance No.350 Mapo-go was created by dividing the parts of Seodaemun-gu and Yongsang-gu.
Jurisdiction : 23 towns
Ahyeon town, Gongdeok town, Singongdeok town, Dohwa town, Mapo town, Tojeong town, Yonggang town, Yeomni town, Daeheung town, Sinsu town, Gusu town, Hyeonseok town, Sinjeong town, Hajung town, Changjeong town, Donggyo town, Seogyo town, Hasuill town, Dangin town, Hapjeong town, Mangwon town and Yuldo town

1945

October 16, 1945
' Guyeokso (district office) of each gu and 'Gujang(the district leader)' are renamed to each the Gucheong and Guchengjang

1955

April 18, 1955 (Local city ordinance No. 66)
Previous 'donghoe' was changed into 'dong', and each district office set another administrative office to take charge of the task.
Mapo-gu covers 19 districts such as Ahyeon-1,2,3,4,5-dong, Gongdeok-1,2,3,4,5-dong, Singok-1,2-dong, Dohwa-1,2-dong, Gwanran-dong, Yeomni-dong, Seogang-dong and Segyo-dong.

1964

Jun 1, 1964 (Ordinance No.1640)
Parts of Nogosan-dong of Seodaemun-gu and Daehyeon-dong of Mapo-gu and parts of Ahyeon-dong of Mapo-gu were included in each Mapo-gu and Seodaemun-gu, and Nogosan-dong is newly created.

1970

May 18, 1970
Change of dong name and administrative district
Mapo-gu divided Ahyeon-1,2,3,4,5-dong into Ahyeon-1,2,3-dong, Gongdeok-1,2,3,4,5-dong into Gongdeok-1,2-dong, Singongdeok-1,2-dong into Singongdeok, Gwanran-dong into Yonggang-dong, Sinseok-dong into Sinsudong, Seogang-dong into Changjun-dong and Sangsu-dong, Segyo-dong into Seogyo-dong and Hapjeong-dong, and reduced the number of the entire district from 20 to 18.

1973

March 12, 1973 (Presidential decree No. 6548)
The portions of Seongsu-dong and Yeonhui-dong in Seodaemun-gu are included in Mapo-gu.
Part of Donggyo-dong and Seogyo-dong in Mapo-gu are involved in Seodaemun-gu.

1975

October 1, 1975
Change of the old districts by Presidential decree No. 7816 (September 23, 1975)
Portion of Donggyo-dong in Mapo-gu was involved in Seodaemun-gu
The entire Sangam-dong and Seongsan-dong in Seodaemun-gu and Susaek-dong, Joong-dong, Namga-jwa dong, and Yeonhui-dong were included in Mapo-gu.
Determination of dong's name and district by City ordinance No. 979 (September 29, 1975)
Sangam-dong was newly created in the parts of involved Sangam-dong and Susaek-dong of Seodaemun-gu
Seongsan-dong was newly created as the portions of involved Seongsandong and Namgajwa-dong and Joong-dong in Seodaemun-gu.
Yeonnam-dong was newly created as a part of the involved Yeonhui-dong (18 into 21 districts)

1977

September 1, 1977
Seongsan-2-dong was established and the separated Mangwon-dong was controlled by Hapjeong-dong under the local city ordinance No. 1181 (Proclaimed on August 29, 1997)
A part of Donggyo-dong was involved in Yeonnam-dong under the local city ordinance No. 1185 (Proclaimed on August 29, 1997)

1980

July 1, 1980
A dong office was set up under the local city ordinance No. 1413 (Proclaimed on March 1, 1980) [Seogyo-dong was divided, Donggyo-dong was created, Mangwon-dong was set up as Mangwon-1, and 2-dong-extending to 22 to 24 districts ]

1985

September 1, 1985
A portion of Yonggang-dong was involved in Yeomni-dong under the local city ordinance No. 2016 (Proclaimed on August 8, 1985)

1989

June 1, 1989
Change of the whole Hasu-dong to Sangsu-dong, 28 Mangwon-dong to Seogyo-dong, others except for Maingwon-1,2-dong to Hapjeong-dong under the local city ordinance No. 84 (Proclaimed on May 29, 1989)

2007

January 2, 2007
Ahyeon-2 and 3-dong, Dohwa-1 and 2-dong, Daeheung-dong and Nogosan-dong, and Changjun-dong and Sangsu-dong were consolidated into Ahyeon -2- dong, Dohwa-dong, Daeheung-dong, and Seogang-dong and were renamed (24 dongs→20 dongs) under Seoul Mapo-gu Office Set Up ordinance No. 644 (Proclaimed on January 12, 2007)
September 1, 2007
The dong office is renamed as the dong residents center on the basis of the policy of Ministry of Public Administration and Security (August, 28, 2007)

2008

January 7, 2008
Ahyeon-2 and 3-dong, Ahyeon-1-dong and Gongdeok-1-dong and Singongdeok-dong,and Donggyo-dong and Seogyo-dong were consolidated into Ahyeon -2- dong, Gongdeok-dong, and Seogyo-dong under Seoul Mapo-gu Office Set Up ordinance No. 691 (Proclaimed on January 7, 2008)