A Greater and Happier Mapo through Communication and Innovation.
Yanhwanaru and Jamdubong Site
Address6, Tojeong-ro, Mapo-gu (Hapjeong-dong)
During the Byeongin Persecution in 1866, Regent Heungseon Daewongun sent many arrested Catholic believers to Jamdubong Peak where they were beheaded. Since then, the place has been called "Jeoldusan," meaning "the mountain of decapitation." Yanghwanaru Port was an important military and traffic center during the Joseon era.
Patriotic Martyr Ahn Jung-geun's Calligraphy Works
Address94, Wausan-ro, Mapo-gu (Sangsu-dong)
The collection of the calligraphy works that Patriotic Martyr Ahn Jung-geun made while he was imprisoned in Lushun Prison after assassinating Ito Hirobumi until he was executed was designated as Treasure No. 569. The ninth entry of the collection, which is entitled "Orobongwipil" is currently housed in the Hongik University Museum.
Worinseokbo (Volumes 1 and 2)
Address35, Baekbeom-ro, Mapo-gu (Sinsu-dong)
The book is composed of Worincheongangjigok written by King Sejong and Seokbosangjeol authored by King Sejo. In 1457 (3rd year of King Sejo's reign), when the crown prince died, the king published this revised edition of the two books with additions and emendations to commemorate his father and his son.
Yang Sa-eon's Calligraphy Work in the Cursive Script Style
Address35, Baekbeom-ro, Mapo-gu (Sinsu-dong)
Yang Sa-eon was a civil official and a calligrapher of the mid-Joseon era. He was famous for his excellence in the Regular and Cursive script styles and praised as one of the four greatest calligraphers in the first half of the Joseon era, along with Prince Anpyeong, Kim Gu and Han Ho. His poem "Though Mount Tai Is High" is still loved by many Koreans.
The Site of Mangwonjeong Pavilion
Address23, Donggyo-ro 8an-gil, Mapo-gu (Hapjeong-dong)
In 1425, King Sejong visited this place to inspect the farmlands here. As it started to rain, the king was very happy and named the pavilion "Huiujeong," meaning "joy at rain." Later, when Prince Wolsan repaired the pavilion, he changed its name to "Mangwonjeong," which means "a pavilion with a nice view of distant areas."
The House of Jeong Gu-jung in Yonggang-dong
AddressKeunumul-ro 2-gil, Mapo-gu
The house is considered to have been built in the 1920s. This house showing the grace of the traditional Korean house structure displays various modern artifacts inside it. It was built by Ahn Yeong-dal, one of the four greatest carpenters of the late Joseon era. Belonging to a private citizen now, the house is not open to the public anymore.
Paintings of Shamanistic Spirits in the Bugundang Shrine, Dangin-dong
Address25-18, Dongmak-ro 12an-gil, Mapo-gu
The eight painting of shamanistic spirits in the Bugundang Shrine in Dangin-dong are thought to have been created by one monk painter in the early 20th century. The paintings feature the patterns that were popular at that time and various refined colors, influenced by modern Western painting style. They also show exquisite geometric patterns, which are seldom found in other paintings of this genre.
Bamseom Bugundang Rite
DateJanuary 2 according to the lunar calendar
Address437-3, Changjeon-dong, Mapo-gu
It is a traditional rite that has been held in the Bugundang Shrine by the residents of Bamseom Island to pray for the well-being and prosperity of the community to the tutelary god. During the Korean War, Seoul was severely bombarded and damaged. However, only 13 households around the shrine remained intact, which the residents attributed to the protection by the shrine.
Shrine to King Gongmin of the Goryeo Dynasty
Address13, Dongmak-ro 21-gil, Mapo-gu,
During the early Joseon era, when the government sought to build a storage of rice near Seogang, King Gongmin of Goryeo appeared in the dream of an aged man living in this area. After this, the shrine was constructed and a rite for him was held every year, as the king commanded in the dream. The current shrine was a newly built one by residents as the former one was destroyed during the Korean War.
The House of Former President Choi Gyu-ha
Address10, Donggyo-ro 15-gil, Mapo-gu (Seogyo-dong)
This is a two-story house that former President Choi Gyu-ha constructed and lived with his family while he served as the President's Special Adviser on Diplomacy before his appointment as Prime Minister and from his resignation from presidency until his passing away. The house preserves the traces of his simple, frugal life and the articles left by him.
01. The Site of Yanghwanaru Port
Address6, Tojeong-ro, Mapo-gu (Hapjeong-dong), in front of the Jeoldusan Martyrs' Shrine
The stone post was erected in 1989 and carries the inscription as follows: "The site of a port that connected Seoul and the Gangho area in Jemulpo." Yanghwajin, as one of the three major military bases including Songpajin and Hangangjin, was famous as a prosperous commercial zone where many traders visited.
02. The Site of the Gwangheungchang
Address28-1, Changjeon 1-gil, Mapo-gu, in front of the Shrine to King Gongmin
The stone post was set up in 1890. The Gwangheungchang was an institution of the Joseon government that stored rice collected from Gyeonggi Province and the three southern provinces as taxes and then distributed them to government officials as their salaries.
03. The Site of Musoemak
Address189, Dongmak-ro, Mapo-gu (Sinsu-dong), on the road in front of the Sinsu-dong Catholic Church
Erected in 2001, the stone post indicates that the site was where iron factories producing cast iron caldrons and farming tools and offering them to the government were gathered. "Sucheol-ri," the former name of Sinsu-dong, came from "Musumak."
04. The Site of the Gongsecheong
Address10, Changjeon-ro, Mapo-gu, in front of Bongwon Flood Pumping Station
The stone post, set up in 2001, carries the following inscription that specifies the role of the Gongsecheong: "This is the site of the Joseon Dynasty's institution that collected taxes from the ships passing through Seogangnaru Port."
05. The Site of the Seo (Western) Hwarinseo
Address247, Mapo-daero, Mapo-gu (Ahyeon-dong)
The stone post was erected in 1987 to indicate the location of the Seo (Western) Hwarinseo. The Hwarinseo was Joseon's medical institution where patients with infectious diseases received quarantine treatment. As the successor of the Daebiwon of the Goryeo era, the institution was launched and re-named "Hwrinwon" during the reign of King Taejong of Joseon. The name was changed again to "Hwarinseo."
06. The Site of the March First Independence Movement, the terminus of the Mapo tramline
Address20, Mapo-daero, Mapo-gu, in front of the flower bed of Dabo Building
The stone post was erected in 1993 and inscribed with the phrase: "The Site of the March First Independence Movement." The Koreans who read the Declaration of Independence aloud on March 1, 1919, in Tapgol Park, assembled here and yelled for Korean independence.
Address8-6, Sungmun 5-il, Mapo-gu (Yeomni-dong), in front of the wall of the Korea Communication Computing Support Group
The stone post, in 1995, was erected on this site of a saltern where salt ships that arrived at the Hangang River were unloaded and the salt was traded. Ships arriving at Maponaru Port entered this valley, where a salt market was formed.
08. The Site of the House of Tojeong Yi Ji-ham
Address13, Tojeong-ro 32-gil, Mapo-gu (Tojeong-dong), inside the Samsung and Hyundai Apartment Complexes
This stone post was erected in 1997 near the site of the house where Tojeong Yi Ji-ham, a visionary and a Neo Confucian scholar of the mid-Joseon era, lived. Until a few years after the liberation of Korea, there was an empty site known as the site of his house in this area.
09. The Site of the Bamseom Residential Areas
AddressInside Bamseom Island
This stone post inside Bamseom Island was erected in 1994, with the following inscription: "This place was inhabited by people who were shipbuilders and farmers from the early Joseon era; however, in February 1968, a total of 62 households moved to Changjeon-dong due to the development of the Hangang River."
10. Seontongmulcheon Stream
Address193, Mapo-daero, Mapo-gu (Ahyeon-dong), at the entrance to the tunnel
When many goods were transported to Mapohang Port in the past, they first needed to cross this stream flowing from Aeogae to the port to be brought to the market. So, the name "Seontongmul" meant "a stream that goods first pass through". Later, the Chinese character "seon" meaning "first" was changed to that signifying "good".